Monday, June 13, 2011

Welcome to my hoya blog...

I have wanted to start a blog about my hoyas for a long time but never had the time to do it.  I don't know what it is about these plants but i love them and can't stop buying them.  My husband just doesn't get it but he should because he has a comic book collection stored away in the spare bedroom.  I have only had a few of the hoyas bloom for me so far but I didn't start giving them fertilizer until just recently and in the winter I am awful about watering them.  I have to take each shelf of hoyas and drag them to the bathtub and that takes some time so I tend to skimp.  In the summer I put most of the hoyas and houseplants outside so they get humidity, rainwater, and then my occasional watering and it makes them extremely happy.


So I start my blog with Hoya Macgillivrayi "Lockhart River".  I got this hoya from Joni at SRQHoyas in September of 2009.  It is a big plant but it would probably be bigger if I would have started fertilizing it more often and given it more water in the winter.  I have been trying out the beer fertilizer recipe and it seems to be working so far.  I have also been trying out fish emulsion, seaweed extract, and Superthrive.



2 comments:

  1. Where could I get the beer fertilizer recipe?
    Thanks Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog even though you didn't post anything for a Long time. Your hoya's must be enormous by now 😂 Are you still into hoya's?

    ReplyDelete