Saturday, August 6, 2011

Hoya Linearis

I love this plant.  It is so beautiful the way it hangs down.  It reminds me of the Spanish moss that grows in the south.  I love the way it feels with its fuzzy, thin leaves.  I actually have 2 of these plants so if one would die then I would still have the other one.  I ordered them from Exotic Angel a couple of years ago and they got bumped around quite a bit on their journey here.  Most of the dirt was out of the pot.  I looked for them around here at Lowes and Meijers but they don't seem to have any of the more unusual Hoyas.  I did not replant them, I just left them in the exotic angel soil and they grow like crazy.  I leave them inside all year round and let them dry out and then water/fertilize them in the bathtub.  They haven't bloomed for me yet, instead they are on a mission to grow all the way to the floor.  On the one plant, I lost the bottom saucer and some of the plant is growing through the holes in the bottom.  I highly recommend this plant.  When you get it, just hang it in front of a bright window and ignore it until the pot seems light and then water it thoroughly in the bathtub.  Don't let it get too dry because sometimes the stems tend to dry out if you leave it to dry too long.  If you want to take cuttings, just get an old pop bottle and poke holes about an inch from the bottom.  Fill the pot up with Hydroton and then pop the cuttings in between them.  I water my cuttings with a drop of superthrive added.  I don't put the linearis cuttings in the cuttings aquarium because it roots fine without it.  You can just sit it on a shelf and add water when it needs it, you can mist them if you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment